Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Best of Friends



It is said that Dog is man's best friend. My husband has a strong bond with all of our dogs and they are part of our family. I never dreamed that Trevor would have such a strong bond with our doberman, Crush. When I think of the memories of the two of them the song from the Fox and the Hound plays in my mind:

When you're the best of friends
Having so much fun together
You're not even aware, you're such a funny pair
You're the best of friends

Life's a happy game
You could clown around forever
Neither one of you sees, your natural boundaries
Life's one happy game

From the time we brought Trevor home, the dogs were so very curious about him. They were super excited and a bit rough at first. Crush however was our gentle giant. He took to Trevor in a very "pack like" way. He was very protective of Trevor. When Trevor started to discover the world around him, Crush was always right there. Trevor could pull his ears, lips, eyelids and even crawl over him and Crush stood perfectly still just happy to get the attention.

One of the funniest memories I have of the two of them was this: I had just started feeding Trevor baby food. To do this I usually sat him in his bouncy seat. Well since he was just learning to eat, he had food all over his mouth. When he had finished eating, I went to grab a wipe to clean his mouth. When I came back Crush was licking his own lips and Trevor's face was spotless and he smiled and giggled at me. YUCK! But to the both of them it was great!

After Trevor died Crush mourned with us. In fact he still does. He can sense when we are upset. He will usually lay at Trevor's door and if we go into his room he has to come in with us. Also if I play videos of Trevor, Crush used to go look for him around the house, now he simply looks at the computer and lays back down.

Trevor and Crush shared a bond. A bond that some would think was unlikely, a "mean" doberman and a baby? But my "mean" doberman is very kind, gentle and scared of everything. He is sad about Trevor too, he can't verbalize it but sometimes actions speak louder than words.


No comments:

Post a Comment